In our first post on the How to Macrame series we discussed the basics of macrame you need to know before you start. Once you understand the basics of what you are trying to do, its time to learn the knots. The Square knot is the first macrame knot you’ll want to learn. It’s one of the most popular knots you’ll need to master. Here we go:
A Square Knot consists of two half knots that are tied in opposite directions.
1. Start with four cords.
2. Bring the right cord over and to the left of the two anchor cords.
3. Place the left cord over the right cord.
4. Bring the left cord under the anchors and through the loop formed by the right cord.
5. Pull and you have the first half of the Square Knot.
6. Bring the left cord over and to the right of the two anchor cords and place the right cord over it.
7. Bring the right cord under the anchors and through the loop formed by the left cord.
8. Pull the cords and you have the finished Square Knot.
Now you are ready to macrame. Start with these macrame patterns which are good for beginners.