-81yds. of 4 ply or #72 natural jute
-6yds Of 3-ply natural jute
-Seven 3/4 in. wooden beads
-Six 1/2in. wooden beads
-Two 5in brass rings
The finished length of this plant hanger should be 4 feet, 10 inches.
- Cut 6 cords 7yds. Long each of 4 ply or #72 natural jute. Fold in half and tie a scrap piece of cord to hold in place.
- Cut a 1yd. peace of 4 ply or #72 natural jute to use as a wrapping cord. Tie a wrapping knot 3in. below the center of all cords for 3in.
- Divide cords into four groups of three cords each. Number groups 1-4. Tie a Chinese Crown Knot for 4 knots.
- Take one of the 5in brass rings and wrap it with the 3-ply Jute.
Put all 4 groups of cords through the wrapped ring. Now drop down 3 1/2in. take the center cord from each group and Double Half Hitch it onto the ring 90° apart. Take the other two cords from each group and Double Half Hitch each cord onto the ring at an equal distance apart. You should have 12 cords tied onto the ring.
- Take group 1 (3cords) and drop down 1 1/2in. and tie a square knot around one filler cord. Add 1, 3/4in. wooden bead on the filler cord. Tie a square knot below the bead. Repeat for the other 3 groups of cords.
- Repeat step #4. Put all 4 groups of cords through the wrapped ring. Now drop down 1 1/2in. Take the center cord from each group and Double Half Hitch it onto the ring 90° apart directly below the above ring knot. Take the other two cords from each group and Double Half Hitch each cord onto the ring at an equal distance apart. You should have 12 cords tied onto this ring.
- Divide the cords into groups of 4 cords each. Take one group of cords and start the first leg of the hanger, by tying a square knot followed by a half-knot sinnet for 5in. (about 18 knots three complete turns).
- Put one of the 1/2in. wooden bead on the filler cords and push it up tight to the last half-hitch. Drop down 1in. and tie a square knot picot around the bead. Push this knot up tight to the bead, making a nice half-inch loop on both sides.
- Put one of the 3/4in. wooden beads on the filler cords and push up tight to the last knot. Drop down 3in. and tie a square knot picot around the bead. Push this knot up tight to the bead, you now have a 1 1/2in. loop.
- Repeat step #9, giving you four half-inch loops two at the top and two at the bottom. And two 1 1/2in loop in the middle.
- Drop down 3in and tie a square knot X-over. Use the filler cords as tying cords, and the tying cords as filler cords.
- Now tie a square knot button with three square knots, push it up and tie a square knot under it to hold in place.
- Continue to tie square knots for a total of 5 knots, followed by another square knot button of three square knots. Tie another square knot underneath to hold in place.
- Drop down 4in. and tie a square knot, giving you an open loop.
Now tie a Half-knot sinnet for 3in. (11 knots) two complete turns.
- Repeat steps 8 -16 for the other two legs of the hanger.
- Drop down 6in and tie a row of alternating square knots, to connect the sinnets and begin the basket.
- Drop down 2in and tie another row of alternating square knots.
- Tie two rows of alternating square knots up close to the last row to close the basket.
- Cut a 1yd long peace of 3-ply natural jute to use as a wrapping cord. Begin the wrap right below the last row of square knots. Wrap for 2in tuck ends up under and glue.
- Trim cords ends to 3 1/2in. and frieze out to make a bushy end.
Pattern & photo by Charlie Emery
Similar macrame posts:
- Macrame Patterns: Macrame Christmas Tree Holidays are just around the corner…are you interested in creating...